We love the humble Grenache grape – biased you might say but there is a reason we chose it for our wine. So to celebrate International #GrenacheDay here are our top facts about this lovely little grape:
1. Grenache’s home is actually just over the Pyrenees from us in Aragon. In Spain it is known as Garnacha or Garnatxa. In Italy it is known as Cannonau
2. Like us Grenache loves the sunshine and warmth – perfect for developing the ripe red berry flavours it is famous for.
3. Grenache is one of the 13 permitted varietals allowed in the production of another French favourite of ours, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
4. Did you know that after France and Spain the largest wine regions for Grenache are the USA and Australia?
5. China has a rumored 5000 hectares of Grenache planted….so watch this space!
Most importantly though:
Both our Bijou red and rosé are made using the finest Grenache grown in the commune of Cabrières in the Languedoc!